Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Happy 2009!

I started 2009 the best possible way that I could imagine... Decided last minute (well, 2 nights before) to fly to Nor Cal, 600 miles to Redding. There, one of my bestest girlfriends picked me up and we just hung out. There was no wedding to go to, no rush rush stuff, nuthin. I've always had the traveling bug, and haven't been out lately, so it was nice to pick up my back pack and leave for the New Years 4 day weekend that I had. That's right...back pack...I was able to scale down everything so I had room to spare. My copy of "The Town and the City" by Kerouac took up the most space...and it was not wasted space.

I got to check out the family's new coffee shop in Redding, experience the midnight noisy wind and snowfall beating against the house in Weed, and meet the snowboarding crowd in Mt. Shasta at a couple of downtown bars. But most of all, I spent time with Christine and living a day in her life, well, kind of. It really did open my eyes, she' s an awesome mom and wife, and wow, I guess we are adults! We did a lot of catching up...and we really haven't lost it...we beat her husband and his mom at Pictionary!

Chatting until midnight with hot tea or sitting outside that Shasta bar where it's so cold you can see your own breath as you speak...talking about beliefs, experiences, obstacles, uncertainties...I really do miss that friendship. There are only a certain few I have that kind of relationship with, I do not take it for granted. I miss it, unfortunately those close to my heart like that are far away.

We did some shopping too...I found some shoes that I will be listing in the store.

I also ran across an MNG Mango shop with clothes by Penelope Cruz and her sister...Of course I picked up a few items!

Rather than spending New Years Eve at a crowded bar rubbing elbows with drunk idiots and superficial party go-ers, this last minute-on-a-whim trip was completely worth it. And I would do it again in a heartbeat. Even if I had to charge it.

Next stop: San Francisco.

No comments: