Friday, July 25, 2008

A hobby I meant to learn...

Knitting! I learned how to at one point, when I was a kid in middle school. I knitted my first scarf. Of course, it wouldn't be perfect, how could it be? I was so proud I had to show my grandmother.

Every year for Christmas, she would have knitted booties and other gifts of that nature for the family. I really did look forward to new slippers every year, as cheesy as that was!

Anyway, she pointed out every little wrong detail of my precious scarf and it broke my heart. Now that I look back, I obviously was looking up to her for support and guidance through my new venture. Well, I got discouraged and I never picked it back up.
As I drove through Grand Junction, CO last year, I browsed around a couple of antique shops in the "downtown" area. I stumbled across the following pictured knitting books. All range from late '50s to 1967. I was inspired to pick up knitting. And they also caught my eye...for makeup and hair inspiration. A year later, I haven't even attempted to learn. I browse through them every so often and think about how cute it would be to own some of these creations. The first two books are my favorite (you can click on these photos and the full image size will pop up):

#1. The gals with the teased high hair and thick black eyeliner are what caught my eye...especially since going through my '60s phase...


#2. Almost all of these photos are taken on a race track...who doesn't love fast cars and knitted fashion?


#3. and #4. I don't think these scans truly capture the doll like creepiness...cool late '50s fashion with almost wax like figures...I don't even think these women are real...

#5. The front and back cover...all I can say is, it's my goal to have a matching ski sweater with some lucky man when we go to the local ski resort...We will just sit by the fireplace all day with a nice hot chocolate, or maybe some Irish coffee...


I am a collector of random emphemera...I love doing research on the everyday living of women in times gone by. It's especially a riot to read the "cosmo's" of the '50s...(hmm...I think that will be a future post...)...so maybe I won't get into my thoughts there....
These knitting books aren't worth anything monetary...but do mean the world to someone who may want them. I am willing to pass these on to someone...who wants to trade? I'll let go of Books #3, #4, and #5. Just convo me if want to know more details about these little treasures or if you've got somethin' to offer *wink wink*! Ooh and even better if someone wants to knit me a sweater from one of these books...we will definitely work something out! hehe





No comments: