Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I'm speechless

I've been giving my friend a hard time about his shoes for quite a while now. They are white, high top sneakers with velcro. Not because he is some hipster, but because he hasn't gone shopping in over 10 years. They are ragged, dirty, more like a grey color than a white. It's all in good fun and he finally agreed to come to the shop to get some Vans. He didn't get vans, but a nice pair of Penguin lace up sneakers. He bought a new pair of Levis, and nice up to date polo shirt. He is the stereotypical guy who hates shopping and won't take the effort to update his wardrobe. Everyone loves this guy anyway. He will take a bullet for you. No doubt.


He wanted to take me to a friendly dinner afterwards and talk. Just talk about stuff that's going on. I consider him a pretty good friend and easy to talk to. We went to a local Mexican restuarant. I ordered a Strawberry Margarita to start off and as we were eating our salads, he tells me he is going to die.


I have goosebumps while typing this. He's had cancer for a couple years now, and just a few months ago went to the doctor. He has a bad case of mouth, throat and stomach cancer. The thing is, I think he has given up. He hasn't even attempted to get treatment. He says he will "try to talk to some people."


To say the least, last night was very emotional. Neither of us finished our dinners.


Even being the next day, it's hard not to think about it.